The days are passing by and we are already entering the third month of this year. March brings in the festival of colours ‘Holi’ and also the Hindu Calendar New Year for some in the form of Ugaadi or Gudi Padwa. I’m sure there will be events all over the blogosphere celebrating these festivals but here at Foodelicious we are going to celebrate the South Indian Cuisine. The event will run through the month of March.
One of the most popular cuisines of India, the South Indian Cuisine is a term used to refer to the cuisines found in the four southern states namely Andhra Pradesh, Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Karnataka. There’s a great diversity in the preparations and flavours of the four states but a few things that are common are, the use of rice, coconut, curry leaves and tamarind which gives the southern cuisine it’s identity. Rice is the staple food of Southern India but in Karnataka, Jowar and Ragi are also eaten. There’s a huge difference in the style of cooking between the North and South Karnataka and the small additions bring in great variations in taste.
Idli and Dosa are eaten everywhere in Southern India but the texture of Idli and Dosa varies from state to state. So many varieties of Dosa, Idli and snacks are made in these states. There’s a huge range of cuisines within the Southern cuisine that can be tried. One can cook the Nawab’s delight- Hyderabadi Food which is rich and aromatic on the other hand cook the hot and spicy Andhra food or try the coastal Mangalorean cuisine, choice is entirely yours.
The giveaway is sponsored by www.tarladalal.com. For this month’s South Indian Theme Event the giveaway book is
The book has great reviews and it will be shipped only in India and anyone who can provide an address here in India can be part of the giveaway as long as you are participating in this event as a follower or reader of my blog.
- Any number of fresh entries can be sent but only two entries from the archives will be accepted, provided they are reposted again.
- Use of logo is mandatory as it helps spread a word (and for that just click on the logo and once it opens in a new page, copy it).
- Vegetarian and egg dishes are accepted.
- Mention in your post the Southern State to which the dish belongs to.
- Link your post to this event announcement page.
- Non-bloggers if interested in participating, can send me the recipe and pic to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Use the linky tools only to send your recipes only if you face a problem using the linky tool, mail your entry to me.
- There will be two linky tools, those participating in the giveaway leave the links in Linky ‘For India’ else leave in ‘Others’.
Leave your entries here