As a health conscious mother I have to constantly concoct preparations which are healthy, nutritive and at the same time tasty too. My kids are not fond of oats and I always had a difficult time making them eat it.
We all know both Wheat and Oats are extremely Nutritive. We being largely the wheat eaters, it’s benefits we enjoy. The challenge is always adding and introducing other grains. By making these extremely tasty and nutritive pancakes I passed one such challenge of adding Oats into our meals.
The pancakes made out of oats and wheat can be very bland if not spiced and flavored properly. I have added chilies, coriander, garlic and curds to my pancake to add in the flavor. These pancakes have to be handled very delicately as they can break off easily. To make them crisp, they need to be cooked on low flame on either side, that’s where semolina helps.
The stuffing of Cottage Cheese and capsicum provides the protein content, vitamins and minerals.
Health facts about Oats (Source eatmoreoats.com)
Oatmeal and oat bran are significant sources of dietary fiber. This fiber contains a mixture of about half soluble and half insoluble fibers. One component of the soluble fibre found in oats is beta-glucans, a soluble fiber which has proven effective in lowering blood cholesterol. Here's how it works. Soluble fiber breaks down as it passes through the digestive tract, forming a gel that traps some substances related to cholesterol, such as cholesterol-rich bile acids. This entrapment reduces the absorption of cholesterol into the bloodstream. The bad cholesterol, LDL, is trapped without lowering good cholesterol (HDL). Oats and grains are also one of the best sources of compounds called tocotrienols. These are antioxidants which together with tocopherols form vitamin E. The tocotrienols inhibit cholesterol synthesis and have been found to lower blood cholesterol. The accumulation of cholesterol is implicated in many types of cardiovascular disease. Oats, like all cholesterol-lowering agents, are most effective when consumed as part of a low-fat, high-fiber diet taken together with plenty of exercise.
Ingredients for Pancake
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup rolled oats powdered
4-5 tbsp semolina
1 tsp whole cumin seeds
4-5 green chilies crushed
3-4 garlic pods crushed
3 tbsp curds
salt to taste
water to adjust consistency
1 onion finely chopped
2-3 tbsp cilantro chopped
For the Stuffing
100gms Cottage Cheese grated
1 large capsicum chopped finely
salt to taste
cumin pwd as per taste ( I added about 11/2 tsp)
Mix all the ingredients of the pan cake and add enough water to make a batter of pouring consistency.
Heat a Non stick pan and smear it with few drops of oil, spread the batter like you make Uttappam. Simmer the flame. Once the air escapes and the holes are formed pour in a little oil around the edges and a few in the centre. When the lower side turns crisp flip the pancake and cook on the other side.
Turn the pancake again and fill in the stuffing. Fold the pancake and serve.
My friends Sushma Mallya, Padma, Raje and Babli have passed on a few awards. I am a bit late to acknowledge here, sorry girls for that.Those of you who have not visited their blogs do visit, they are highly talented bloggers.
Babli has also passed
Raje has also passed
Thanks a lot both of you.
This Over the top award comes with a meme
1. Where is your cell phone: On my bed next to me
2. Your hair: dark Brown
3. Your mother: My best friend
4. Your father: My pride
5. Your favorite food: Indian and Thai
6. Your dream last night: I do not remember
7. Your favorite drink: Vergin Pina Colada
8. Your dream/goal: To write my cook book
9. What room are you in: Bed room
10. Your hobby: keeps changing
11. Your fear: Heights
12. Where do you want to be in 6 years: Where my destiny takes me
13. Where were you last night: Home
14. Something you aren’t: Liar
15. Muffins: Not very fond of
16. Wish list item: holiday to Goa once again
17. Where did you grow up: in India
18. Last thing you did: Was making my son read Hindi literature
19. What are you wearing: Bandhani Salvar Kurta
20. Your TV: Switched Off
21. Your pets: No
22. Your friends: Very choosy about them
23. Your life: Great
24. Your mood: Happy
25. Missing someone: My parents
26. Vehicle: Hyundai Verna and Santro
27. Something you’re not wearing: My Bindi
28. Your favorite store: Alpha, More Supermarket (Aditya Birla Retail)
29. Your favorite color: None in particular
30. When was the last time you laughed: in the morning
31. Last time you cried: well nobody would like to remember that
32. Your best friend: My husband S
33. One place that I go over and over: Kitchen
34. One person who emails me regularly: My friend Anubha
35. Favorite place to eat: Davangere benne dose in Bangalore
I am passing the “Over the Top” award and the Meme to Prasu, Radha, Sadhana and Muskaan, Sangeeta Subhash, Sireesha , Preeti and Somoo. Girls enjoy and pass on.
I am sending this as my entry to EFM -Oats series hosted by SrishKitchen
WYF : Light Meal hosted by EC at Simple Indian Food