Last few days have been kind of busy. I was busy unpacking and cleaning the house. Kids are also back from granny's place, so the house is chirping and is feeling kind of full. Kids are waiting for the school to reopen but before that they want to enjoy the last few days of their holidays to the fullest.
My younger one would watch all cookery shows with me and would stand next to me in the kitchen observing how I cut the veggies, what all spices I add and in what quantities. He recently watched a video on knife skills and was showing me the rolling technique and then added his superlative "see how quickly I learnt it". I let him use it strictly in front of me and without the veggies :). I am happy he being around as my elder one is again busy with his studies and is only seen on the lunch and dinner table and S is only available to say good morning and good night, so he is my saviour.
Today I made Aloo Gobhi Matar and Masoor Dal for the lunch. The vegetable is every one's favourite but the Dal is particularly my favorite. The veggie is very simple to make and requires very basic ingredients available easily in every one's kitchen. It's the way it is cooked and how well it gets coated with the spices that yields the curry fine taste.
The Dal I can eat bowls of it without asking for anything else. I adore this Dal for it's simplicity not only in cooking but also in taste, especially as it has the nice aroma of asafoetida(heeng)and the best part is it's easy to digest.It's frequently made in my kitchen.
Aloo Gobhi Matar Ki Subzi (Potato,Cauliflower,Peas)
2 small cauliflowers (cut into flowerets)
3 potatoes(cut into pieces)
3 onions chopped
1 large tomato chopped
1 cup peas (I used frozen)
2tsp red chilli pwd
1 1/2 tsp turmeric
2 -3tbsp coriander pwd
salt to taste
Oil for cooking
1 tsp cumin seeds
- Heat oil and add cumin seeds and let them splutter. Add onions and saute till light brown in colour.
- Add all spices and salt followed by potatoes, peas and cauliflower. Mix them properly cover and cook for a few minutes and then add the tomatoes , mix , cover and cook till done.
- Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro and ginger juliennes
Simple Masoor Dal (Red Lentil Dal)
3/4 cup Masoor
1tsp asafoetida pwd
1tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp turmeric
4-5 green chillies
a tbsp of lemon juice
2-3 tsp oil/ghee for tempering
1 tbsp chopped cilantro
- Pressure cook the lentil with 1 tsp turmeric, a pinch of asafoetida and green chillies.
- Mash the lentils with the chillies, add enough water and mix . Add salt to taste.
- Bring the lentils to a boil.
- In a small kadhai heat oil/ghee and add cumin seeds, remaining asafoetida and cilantro and put the baghar/tempering on the boiling dal. Boil it for a minute and then remove it from heat wait for a minute and then squeeze in some lime juice ( about 1tbsp).
- The dal's ready . Serve it with plain rice or just have it like a soup.